Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Shoes

I can't help but hum one of my favorite songs while I type this... Paolo Nutuni is a favorite of Knut and I, and his song New Shoes just fits this post perfectly.

On Saturday we headed out to meet Nama (my mom) to get Jens his first pair of real shoes. She does this with every grandchild, and I love the tradition. Thanks mom! Here is a picture of him hamming it up before we left.



Nordstrom still sticks to their first pair of shoes tradition - the kids get a balloon, a stuffed Nordy doll and a polaroid of the experience. Too bad our sales guy didn't really know what he was talking about. I asked why people used to put babies in hightop shoes, and he didn't know what I was talking about. Like my mom said (under the language radar, of course), apparently that was before his time (wasn't that like 4 years ago?)!?!

We tried a few pairs on him, and the ones we chose were perfect. Not quite a boot, but plenty of ankle support. Even after a few days, he still gets this look of confidence on his face as soon as I put his shoes on.

Here he is not too sure of the new shoes:



And another after he gets the hang of them:



Thanks again Mom and Gaylene for meeting us! Silja got a Jibitz for her Crocs after they didn't have her size in any of the Converse and Vans I was going to get her. It really doesn't surprise me that a tiny little jewel (albeit plastic) can make a little girl so happy!

Meanwhile, Jens is so close to walking... Stay tuned to see some footage of his first steps - assuming it doesn't happen when I'm at work tomorrow!

No comments: